Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Random Reviews: R5-D4 (Star Wars Vintage Collection 2011)

Because I'm ridiculously bored and I feel like reviewing some thing I bought. Funny enough, I don't think this toy's supposed to be out until March, but I was able to pick him up from my local Walmart for about $7.

Ladies and gentlemen, R5-D4, the most important droid in the galaxy who saved everybody by fucking up really badly.


There have been plenty of R5-D4 toys in the past, but this one's just been released as part of the new "Vintage collection". Here's a photo of my own:

From what I've gathered, this toy is actually a repaint of R5-A2, a droid whose parts came with certain figurines and could be put together. This was called "Build-a-Droid". As such, you can take R5 completely apart and put him back together again, and mix-and-match his parts with the other two Build-a-Droid astromechs. Aside from this, he comes with no other special features.

There's really not much to complain about. It's just a very simplistic, almost perfectly accurate toy of the droid. The only issue is that there are supposed to be three red panels painted on R5's back, but apparently they forgot them. Which is, actually, a mistake they seem to constantly make with R5. At this point, the only toy of R5 which gets his panels on the back painted was the original toy from 1978; no other toy since has managed to have them. But then again, it's a very minor issue and doesn't take away much enjoyment of the toy itself.

Jawas: the used car salesmen of the Star Wars universe.

On a more serious complaint, I don't like the legs being made of rubber instead of hard plastic. Sure, it makes it easy to attack the legs to the torso, but also makes the legs lack something in detail. I don't know, it just really bothers me.

If you haven't had an R5-D4 toy since The Power of the Force missile-launching version, go out and grab this to make up for that. I'm sure there's probably a better R5 toy available somewhere, but this one's nice and cheap enough. It's not going to blow your mind or anything, but it's cute. I really like the R5 look...there's something retro about it that makes it so endearing. Maybe I'll get another one and have him custom painted...

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Arkon said...

I have the same toy, but mine dates from 1997. Still somewhere in a box in my basement with lots of vintage Star Wars stuff and characters no one cares about like Power Generator droid.

August 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home