Friday, October 10, 2008

Dragonball: The Next Speed Racer, Probably


Now, I know what you're thinking: shouldn't I give Dragonball a chance before I so bluntly denounce it as the next live-action anime adaptation failure?

I should say I should, but after watching the trailer for the film, all expectations and hopes I had for this film shattered. It's already fallen into the same formula that Speed Racer ended up with, and from what I can tell, there's no hope at all for improving it in any possible way.

There's something that's supposed to happen when adapting comics or animated shows into live-action films. Quite simply, it's this: the film must have the same feel of the original series it's based on. This "feel" is based on characters, setting, and plot. Some great examples of films that have been able to hold this same feel are The Dark Knight, IronMan, and the Spiderman film series.

Then there are films that don't generate this same "feel" at all, and cause box office and review tragedy. Speed Racer is a proud example of this, and I'm sure Dragonball will follow in these footsteps.

Dragonball has all the signs of this. The characters look and feel differently from their animated forms. Goku still has his ridiculous hairstyle, but it's also too short to look cool in any possible way. Piccolo is no longer green, and thus, no longer a threat. The whole show is thrown into a stupid, late-teen Need For Speed sort of setting, rather than vast empty deserts from what I remember about the show. And instead of having exagurated, overly-muscular guys fighting with giant blasts of evergy, we've got these frail, skinny pretty boys. (Not that I don't MIND them; they just don't fit the characters.)

So yeah, unless this film suddenly shows signs of progress into resembling the original Dragonball show, I'm not planning on seeing it; I'll instead read the reviews and laugh, point at people who paid to watch it, and say "Told you so."

Also, this film better damn well have OVER NINE THOUSAND. And shut up about continuity.

If there's an anime that SHOULD be adapted into live action, it's Full Metal Panic!. I can seriously see that happening some day.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous An Cat Dubh said...

Haha, I didn't watch Speed Racer :P
How about a Concession live-action film?

October 22, 2008 at 5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home